Saturday 11 April 2020

An A to Z Coronavirus observational guide. . . J


J

Journalists 


Journalists and news reporters are always looking for that next big story to report on and there is not one much bigger than a pandemic causing chaos across the planet. However it could be argued that in their enthusiasm to chase the story and grab the headlines they may have caused some of the mass panic by the public. Early on in the first few days when some were going mad in supermarkets it certainly did not calm folk down by reporting it on television, radio and social media telling us all the shelves are being stripped bare.  That is the best way to ensure even more folk rush out to buy even more stuff to avoid the risk that they might run out of food and essentials. This then gets reported and we end of in a cycle of fear and uncertainty as several people fight to the death over the last pack of toilet rolls or hand sanitizer on prime time television.

I don’t want to appear critical of the journalists are they try to report the latest news on Covid-19 because that is what they are paid to do. Just at present the world has become a single issue news story, let’s face it as time passes the news media are desperate to chase every possible angle to catch the public’s eye. Sadly the public tend to be attracted to the more doomsday and sensational stuff. Which is why if a car crashes everyone stops; gets out their smartphones and video’s it, not really what we are meant to do.
I guess the one thing that journalists will have to be aware of is that the masses can only take so much news about a single issue for so long before they get weary and their minds start to wander. I have noticed this myself, I have a look at the BBC news site for an update and that’s fine. But then the news on the radio or TV will cover the same things for hours. Still these are strange times and things are not going to change for a while yet.


As I’m writing slightly ahead I can now add that the Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved to ITU so I suspect the news will be rather focused on that for a few days now. I am not a fan but I hope he is OK.




5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Every TV news is a special edition talking exclusivelly about Covid. I wish I could ear some lighter news... Pretty pink Moon!
    J is for Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THe Moon was a Christmas present from friends it is smaller than the real moon and has many colour options. Pink was to celebrate the Pink Supermoon. It is normally in the bedroom so I can always view a full moon.

      Delete
  2. The word news sounds plural, so if they are only going to cover a solitary story, then perhaps they should be called new. But that word 'new' already has plenty of meanings with that spelling, so I am thinking we could add silent letters and or change vowels:

    nu
    nuu
    noo
    knu
    knoo
    pnoo
    neauxeaux
    kneauxeaux

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea Mr ESB and would choose the kneauxeaux option normally, however my spelling skills are not as good as they should be for an old grumpy chap. So maybe nu might be better.

      Interestingly Nu made me think of Mu-metal . . . which took me back to my engineering days. Although my rather dodgy brain means I know I used it but I can remember exactly what I was doing with it.

      Pesky Brain.

      Delete
    2. Magnetic shielding, most likely (?)

      Delete