Friday 1 February 2013

How Marie Antoinette's cake started the French Revolution


There is an old saying that says . . . You can’t have your cake and eat it . . . .  but what this saying fails to point out is that you cant eat your cake unless you have a cake to eat in the first place. . . . . You can’t eat a cake you don’t have . . . makes more sense to me. Now I hear some of you saying what is he talking about, first he has a cake he is not planning to eat, then he says he is planning to eat the cake he has not got . . . . IS HE MAD. Well no.
            
You see yesterday unbeknown to yourselves because I did a sneaky and did not write it in my diary HAH HAHHAH HAHHAH Hahhah hah ah ahahhah ah (OOOooo no hang on I did), I made a cake. It was a birthday cake for Miss Barbara the wife of the Ghost Writer who says that if I ever mention her in my mad diary she will sue me for every penny . . .. . . . AH, luckily I have no money so PHEW. Anyway this was not just any cake because it is the first cake I have ever made. And believe it or not it is even edible I have tested it by eating loads of it to be sure it is OK I blamed the teeth marks on mice and antelope, mainly antelope as they have larger teeth.

I did have a recipe to follow but it all looked a bit complex so in the end thought as it was all going to end up in one cake anyway I may as well throw it all in one bowl and mix it up. Apparently I got wine and cake confused according to the dog and it is not traditional to use your feet to mix a cake, but the dog said it was OK because I kept my socks on so it would be fine and we could hide the bits of fluff under the icing.  That’s another thing why call it icing when it does not have ice in it, however I got round that by adding some Bisto which thickened the icing up again and gave it a nice sort of chocolate look. Dad said it is the best Gravy cake he has ever eaten and the Anchovies were an interesting surprise.   





After we had some of the cake, Mrs Ghost Writer said she may keep the cake because if we eat it we can’t keep it, and we need to remember the old saying. .. . . .  You can’t have your cake and eat it . . . . . and as it is truly unique it should be preserved as an example to show to others as an example of what can be done if you don’t follow instructions?

As a reward I got to dig a big hole out in the cold and wet to plant a pear tree that Miss Issy had bought as a present for Mrs Ghost Writer, and then was sent down into the large muddy wet cold hole to dig mud. It is not entirely what I was expecting having made such an interesting cake for everyone but on the plus side everyone said I could have more cake once I was allowed out of the hole. . . . . . . .YUM. Actually it is not the sort of cake you would eat loads of in one go and so I may need to go and lie down for a bit, we are off out later for a meal so that will be WELL COOL. I said I would take everyone there a slice of cake but everyone here has gone AAAAAAuuuuuuuuuuuggggghhhHHHHH a lot.

Apparently according to mum it was a cake just like mine that started the French Revolution when that Marie Antoinette said let them eat cake  . . . . .. WOW 



.
.

10 comments:

  1. A very Merry Happy Birthday to Mrs Ghost Writer. That really is a cracking effort for your first cake Rob. A sterling effort indeed.
    Although, there does seem to be a lots of food being mentioned on the blogs this week, What with my steaks, Miss Lily and her Tuna and your lovely cake.
    Us RaTs must be a hungry lot! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr H and I will pass on the happy birthday to Mrs Ghost Writer

      We must not forget Mr ESB, he loves a chicken sandwich from his favourite diner back in his home town in Texas. He also from time to time experiments in the kitchen with food to create the perfect meal.

      While on the subject of the RATs have you heard any news of Addman he seems to have vanished. I get a bit twitchy when people just vanish on the internet.

      Delete
  2. Oh that does look delicious but it should have been completely covered in chocolate. After putting up with the grumpy Ghost Writer for all this time, the least that Mrs Ghost Writer deserves is chocolate...and diamonds.
    Happy Birthday Mrs Ghost Writer!

    I never thought about the food correlation until Mr H just mentioned it. And I was wondering about Addman as well today...which makes me very frightened, the possibility that we may share the same thought pattern...very frightened indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate I think may be possible but diamonds are unlikely, the Ghost Writer says he is grumpy but nice and diamonds are in geological terms just bits of hard rook (sorry rock, the rook is another story). He says no man should give his wife bits of stone for her birthday as he found out a few years ago when he gave her the self assembly grotto in a skip.

      Having had a good internet friend who died I am aware of the fragility of friendship on the internet and the contacts we establish. People come and go for all sorts of reasons from simple things like, sod it I have got bored to duff technology to illness and the like. Addman sort of suddenly vanished, I would expect him to go out with a bang and a final farewell if he had enough and got bored. I hope he is OK but the frustration of cyberspace is often we never known what happens to folk and we just have to enjoy the contact while it is there. With luck he will suddenly turn up like nothing has happened and say, last time I take the train to work.

      Delete
    2. I too am considering the where-abouts of Addman. He could very well be on a secret mission of some kind. Its the sort of thing I would Expcet one of the RAT's to get upto around the festive period... or any other type of holiday.
      I'm sure he is fine and will return with one his marvellous blogs quicker than flash.

      Delete
  3. You can have most of your cake and eat some of it, too. But I prefer to rent most of some [sorry, I was busy sneezing just then ...] one else's cake and then veRy carefuLLy remove trace amounts of cake and frosting from throughout the entire cake while no one is looking, and then reassemble the fragments of cake and frosting into layers later. Math, mapping, munchies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite form of anchovies is Worcestershire sauce.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like an atomically reassembled cake to me Mr ESB. Produced in the same way as in the film the fly I suspect. So creating a Fly Cake, I have never heard of Fly Cake but I have heard of Fly Pie, strangely Fly Pie is sometimes called Montgomery Pie, I say strange because of course we lived in Montgomery for a long time and they have never heard of Montgomery Pie on Montgomery.

      It is surprising too how many people are unaware that there are anchovies is Worcestershire sauce. Mrs Ghost Writer as a strict vegetarian often has to explain this to people. I am surprised that they manage to swim about in those little bottles myself.

      Delete
  4. The first cake I baked tasted of soil, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may have been the Stone ground flour . . . . . . .HA HAHAHH HAH HAH hah haha hahah hah ah h hahah hahahhah hah ah hh ahahahahah hah h ah hahah hahahah ha

      Delete