Wednesday 10 June 2015

The Politics of Hard Working Families, Raymond Baxter and the Romans



I was listening to the wireless this morning and the Prime Minister was on at some point talking about something and he mentioned that little phrase that really annoys me . . . . HARD WORKING FAMILIES . . . . . It is a term that all politicians regardless of party seem to use and it does annoy me, as I have just said, so that’s twice now so it must be true.  During the election all the politicians were very keen that all these hard working people and families should vote for them. They clearly did not want the lazy folk who sit about having a good time all day to vote for them O NO they were of no importance and are clearly the demons of society that should be hunted down and made to do things . . . . Like eat ice cream. . . .

WHY you might ask is it annoying. . . Well consider what it implies, do we really want a government that is out to ensure that we all work hard our entire lives, the age at which folk finally get their state pension will be 69 in a few years time. So folk will get to work hard until they drop dead, OOOOoooooo yes we all want that don’t we.

Many years ago there was a TV show called Tomorrows World hosted by Raymond Baxter on it they showed all sorts of fancy new devices and told of the future when folk would work twenty hours a week and retire when they were maybe forty.  A world where robots would do all the menial work and us humans would live a life of decadence and pleasure like the Romans use too. Only they had slaves who did all the work. Well strangely we are entering such a world where the super rich and the political elite have a life of decadence and pleasure and the slaves are now the ordinary folk . . . . Ordinary HARD WORKING FAMILY’S. . . .

So you can see it is not good; politicians should be working hard in order that families can have a life that does not involve them having to spent it working hard in order to survive and many now having to work until they are nearly seventy before they get to retire if they are lucky enough to life that long.


I really should not listen to the wireless in the morning, the other day it was Einstein waking me up with all this talk of a Mathematically Structured Universe and today it was David Cameron annoying me by insisting he will help everyone to work hard. . . . .  At least one spot of good news the Solar panels on our roof generated 28 kilowatts today, that means it was sunny and I got to sit in it (the sunshine) for a while being very lazy, pretending I was a Roman.



11 comments:

  1. Ooh, I loved Tomorrow's World. It would be interesting to bring it back and see how/if some of their predictions came to fruition.

    My mum had worked since she was 16 and just narrowly came within the law change on retirement age. Probably a good thing because at 65 years young, would she still have been expected to work even though she now has severe osteoarthritis? It's great for those who still want to keep working and who are fit and healthy, but I'm not sure the government took onboard people's failing health when they passed that law. But then they probably don't care anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many many jobs that will be difficult to do as you get older, but politicians are only interested in the economics of what they are doing. We need a society that shows far more compassion and where people help each other, not just look at everything and everyone in terms of affordability.

      It would be very interesting to see some of those old Tomorrows World programmes and see how things have changed.

      Delete
  2. I had a long career in a science job that didn't have enough physical movement, sitting all day. After a 'forced' retirement I am now much busier and enjoy more physical activity being a commercial artist. Plus I get to have more interaction with people, it was too much like the beginning of the movie 'Joe Versus The Volcano' working in a basement in a laboratory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I know for sure Mr ESB and that is you are a busy man these days and have many interests and are doing many things. Science can be rather polarizing and lead to isolation from the masses. Maybe that's why it is always mad scientists who plan to rule the world.

      I will have to Google Joe Versus The Volcano I must admit I have never heard of it

      Delete
    2. What?!?!? No 'Joe Versus The Volcano'? It stars Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Meg Ryan and Meg Ryan, and one of my favorite movies of aLL time.

      I decided to read parts of your blog post verticaLLy, downward, and came across 4 words in a row of interest in the last paragraph:

      listen
      Einstein
      structured
      me

      of course those 4 words are on top of each other vertically in my browser window in Firefox on a PC but they may not line up on other browsers.

      Delete
    3. Me? Rule? The? World? No, I am tOO tired most of the time ...

      Delete
    4. I think you would make a good ruler of the world. . . . .
      I will look into this movie and see if I can get to see it at some point.

      Delete
    5. I have many devices for measuring distances in smaLL chunks, so being The Ruler of The World would be okay and keep me busy. Of course my definition of Ruler is slightly different.

      Delete
    6. You definition of ruler did go through my mind (only as a thought, I did not stick a ruler through my head).

      Will you be an imperial ruler or a metric ruler. I think it might affect the length of time you will be allowed to rule.

      Delete
    7. I was planning on being aLL three: Imperial, Metric and Slide Ruler. Oh, to be busy logarithmically again. I would have Annie be my queen, sweet dreams are made of these, who am I to disagree? I will rule the world and the seven and a half seas, everybody's measuring something.

      Delete
    8. AH I now have a song in my head. . . And I have measured some wood today

      Delete