Monday 16 June 2014

The large metal post, a man, a one legged blackbird and two supermarkets.



This morning while at Tough Harry’s  Supermarket where we were purchasing stuff such as milk and fruit and veg (yuck) we arrived in the car-park to see an elderly chap in a shiny car pondering along with a couple of members of the staff a large yellow and black stripy post which he had attacked with his car.  It was one of a long line of yellow and black stripped posts that can be seen from a long way off, the particular post (a big metal post) in question was sort of tucked out the way making it hard to hit without going entirely the wrong way.

Interestingly it reminded me of shopping in both the Tesco at Inverness and M&S in Perth. Now folk in Scotland are well friendly, but for reasons I don’t know things have changed in supermarkets from the last time I was in a Scottish supermarket . . . . WOW it’s scary, a true dog eat dog affair like some sort of terrible computer game where only the death of innocent customers stupid enough to get in the way of your trolley will do.  No one smiles and although the staff are a chirpy bunch if you ask them stuff like where is the milk, AND can I get deep fried mars bars in the ready meals, the customers are demonic zombie killer beasts who hate everyone. 

Yet once they enter the street they cheer up and wave at strangers and tell you there were loads of dolphins in the bay last week . . . . . . . honest, and then tell you how to make spicy banana soup (AAAAAAaaaaaaauuuggghhhhh no YUCK YUCK YUCK).


One draw back in being of Scottish blood but having an English accent is that when you see a passing Scottish pirate ship and you wave and shout hello sailor at them they ignore you. Offering them deep fried dolphin on a stick does not help much either, even our tame one legged Blackbird did not impress them much, but he did tend to fall over quite a lot. 

11 comments:

  1. No wonder shoppers aren't happy if they're having to watch dogs eating dogs in their local supermarkets! I don't know what this world is coming to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is less friendly than it use to be, or maybe I am less friendly than i use to be . . . . . . I cant tell.

      Delete
  2. I have seen my dog chase his tail in circles then catch it and bite it and then -surprise- the dog yelps in pain. He is 9 now and hasn't done that in a couple years. He wiLL chase cats, though, the sport of kings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking that a lack of pirate reply (lackofpiratereplyousness) may have been due to not having a parrot on your shoulder (lackofparrotitisness) while Argg-ing. But I have not watched many pirate movies so I am not tan eXpert (lackofpirateknowledgeness).

      Delete
    2. I tend to go HAR HAR HAR . . .not Argg-ing.so maybe I was usingt the wrong sort of Har-Argg-ing

      Delete
    3. Maybe they thought you were har-arrg-u-ing with them.

      Delete
  3. I can't understand why those pirates were upset with you for saying "hello sailor" at them. Did you do the universal pirate salute (the floppy hand action), and lift your left foot while doing it? If not, that might be why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't lift my left foot without falling over. . . this may mean my pirate days are over. . . . DAMN

      Delete
  4. Just imagine what it's like having to work in one of those supermarkets. Oh no, wait, I don't have to.
    The customers at the Tesco where I used to live weren't very happy the other day; a taxi broke down right in the exit so nobody could get out. Apparently people were stuck in the car park for a couple of hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope they played Hotel California on repeat loop in the shop. . . . .

      Delete
  5. I don't get a chance to wave to Scottish Pirates very often, but when I do, it's with a Scottish accent.

    ReplyDelete