Saturday 21 September 2013

The Bonfire, the Dancing Owls and the Arrival of Christmas?

Today was quite a good day weather wise, being sunny and dry most of the day. Although we did get a bit of a shock when we went out to get milk at Tough Harry’s Store because lurking in the corner appeared to be a group of dark skulking beasts which at first glance appeared to be Zombies. Only as my eyes adjusted to the light in what was a slightly gloomy area of tough Harry’s, it turned out to be even worse that Zombies, because they were chocolate Santa’s . . . . . WHAT it cant be Christmas already how did that happen, maybe they are Zombies in disguise that must be it, its far more logical than Christmas in September who wants Christmas in September that is confusing.



  I had a bonfire today and finally burnt all the odd bits of tree that the men with chainsaws had to remove from the power lines rather a long time ago, it was a good bonfire and I suspect is still alight. I will go and check on it a bit later when the owls stop dancing about in the trees, I really don’t know why owls dance, I can see no evolutionary reason for dancing, particularly by owls.

I also spotted a toad being grumpy today, a butterfly eating a crab-apple and a wasp drinking lemonade. And I have been informed by powers who will remain nameless to protect them from folk going BOOOOOOO HUMBUG that the Bishops Castle michaelmas fair was not so good this year, but then I was not there drumming and that makes a big difference.


Finally our old friend Mr Michael is in hospital and not well, but bearing in mind his quirky and sometimes wild life it is not surprising  . . . . L



.

7 comments:

  1. The evolutionary advantage that I can see for owl dancing is that people and most likely non-people don't eXpect owls to dance and if your main enemy or food source is the owl then if you see a dancing object the owl would gain a slight advantage for flight or fight. Christmas in September? The first ember month? Outrageous. I think it would be easier if Christmas was celebrated for only 4.5 minutes. Perhaps its the Annual Running of the New iPhone that signaled the beginning in the minds of the masses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you are right about the iphone it always surprises me just how popular these things are as Christmas presents.

      I have pondered what might be the great new gizmo for this Christmas, but sadly the onset of technology has sort of ruined Christmas. You never see the old toys and stuff these days, and I keep thinking if only I could come up with something utterly brilliant and interesting but entirely without practical use..... Much like my blog.

      Delete
    2. I saw a Lego-type set of the lab from Breaking Bad.

      Delete
  2. Yeah the mince pies and christmas puddings have all appeared around here too, the halloween stuff isn't even out yet. It is definitely a little too early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw my first Halloween stuff today.

      Maybe people like to have a practice Christmas dinner in October or November or both before doing the real thing

      Delete
  3. Mrs H went nuts in the supermarket yesterday after walking past the christmas puds on display.
    I had to calm her down by letting her touch the wine bottles and picking a couple out for tonight..... very close shave! Oh yes, and somehow a big bag of M&M's fell into the trolley. "A Ghost" Mrs H claims but I have my suspicions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this is a cunning ploy by supermarkets to sell more wine and M&M's.

      Ghosts are well known for there supermarket carry ons . . . .

      You should get Mrs H a chocolate Santa as a little surprise to test her reactions.....

      Delete