Saturday 12 July 2014

2014 Brazilian World Cup . . . Netherlands v Brazil, The Wicker Man. . . And the villagers painting expedition



In our little village community today it was paint day when we all rallied round and headed off to the Village Hall armed with paint brushes and painted. Well that was sort of the plan only it was a lovely sunny day and when we arrived there was just one other person. But we were closely followed by someone else who had arrived to do running repairs on the building; when I say running I do not mean he was running it is one of those silly saying and refers to the building . . . Not that it was running either. So the four (well three) of us started painting the entrance hall as our numbers were a bit less than anticipated. After a while we then lost one of our painters as they had to go off elsewhere and then after a bit longer we lost the repair man as he had to do stuff and also has to get up at 2.00am in the morning to do other stuff. I wonder what sort of stuff a man in a striped T-shirt, wearing a mask, and carrying a large crowbar does at 2.00am. . . . .  And why is a crowbar called a crowbar is it designed to dislodge crows from crevices where they have become stuck?

 So we were then down to two painters which was not exactly what was planned so once the entrance hallway was done we decided that was it, and the other jobs would have to wait. I’m sure the locals will turn up on mass soon enough, bearing pointy sticks, pitch folks and fiery torches looking for an unsuspecting passer by to tie into the Wicker Man before feasting and painting the men’s and ladies toilets. 

There are rituals and funny ways in the country and it does not do to question the reasoning at times, it is always best to cheer and join in. Unless of course you are an unsuspecting passer by walking the Shropshire Way and find yourself tied inside a Wicker Man while folk prod you with pointy sticks and set fire to the large bonfire the Wicker Man is on top of. 


Anyway that was what I did today . . . . . . . . I was wondering if it would help the Netherland football team (My Disheartened Androids) if I tied an unsuspecting passer by into a Wicker footballer and set fire to him. I know it’s too late for the final and my chance to rule the world but at least they would cheer up if they beat Brazil seven one like those German Androids. . .    


6 comments:

  1. I am reading just as the kicking-a-ball game has started and you are right about these Shropshire folk. They are an odd lot. I've only lived here for about 5 years but there is definitely something in the water.

    OH! Holland have just scored again! COME ON YOU ANDROIDS!!!!! hehehehehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT I MUST investigate. . . . .

      Delete
    2. It is amazing what you can achieve with a lot of Willow, I must make these Wicker footballers more often. Trouble is we dont get that many passers by and if they keep vanishing folk will notice. . . . Still the odd one from time to time should be OK, I only take the small ones.

      COME ON YOU ANDROIDS!!!!!

      Delete
    3. It appears that very nice Steven Spielberg is trying to out-weird me by shooting dinosaurs.

      Its No good Mr Spielberg, its no good trying it once a year. . . Weird stuff happens here everyday. . . . . the punters love it (I refer to a man with a pole on a river)

      Delete
  2. Oh, that was your activity for the day and not a dense metaphor for the Brazilian squad's fortunes during this year's cup? I'm just happy that the parade of nationalism is coming to an end and we can get back to rooting for corporate interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes . . . . corporate interests. . . I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am planning to write a post where this very subject will arise. . . .

      Delete